Re: Project Center status, or lack thereof...

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Project Center status, or lack thereof...
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 15:56:37 -0700

On 7/8/07, Sašo Kiselkov <address@hidden> wrote:

I would love to see more work being done on PM (either by me, or
others), since I haven't had much motivation lately (nobody used it, at
least not that I would know...).

Integration into the GNUstep project itself is a problematic issue. I
have no problem releasing all code for it under GNU GPL 2 - make no
mistake, I love free software and the ideas behind it and I support
them. However, recent FSF work on GPL 3 has raised my eyebrows quite
often. BSD licenses, on the other hand, appear to me to be a bit too
liberal. I just don't see the reason for a copyright assignment, when
the same effect can be achieved with a proper free software license (GNU
GPL 2), which makes sure that free software stays free.

Anyways, I don't want this discussion to turn over into an overly
bloated law-oriented flamewar of licenses and copyrights. If we agree
that PM in GNUstep is a good thing *based on technical merits* and a
copyright assignment is required to do so, I would probably sign it. I
think the free software world is lately spending too much time talking
about law and too little about code. And besides - in my country the law
states that I cannot hand down my copyrights to anything I create :-) I
can grant anybody I want the same rights, but my own rights 'stick'
forever onto me :-P

 I share the same view of GPL3 as Saso mostly.
 There is a GNUstep Non-FSF project:
 https://gna.org/projects/gnustep-nonfsf/
 If ProjectCenter is moved to this Non-FSF project,
 it will stay in GPL2 in case FSF decides to move the whole GNUstep into GPL3.
 But I think it is the decision of the future maintainer.
 So I will stop here. :)

 Yen-Ju

- --
Saso

Gregory John Casamento wrote:
> I believe that this is worth looking into at this point.
>
> --
> Gregory Casamento

applications and it should work with the latest release, but yet it's not
gnustep-make 2.0 compliant which, basically, renders it useless.  See this comment:

>> "As can be seen, I did not create a ProjectCenter packages because the
current release (
>> 0.4.3) does not work with make 2.0!  I do request that a new version be release
to conform to the current make release."

>> I've been thinking lately about plans to integrate Gorm and ProjectCenter...
to have better communication between them.    I would prefer to have someone to work
with on this instead of doing it all myself as my work load for my company has
increased dramatically lately (yes... running a consulting company takes time and
effort).