Re: FYI and a few questions...

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: FYI and a few questions...
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:40:01 -0600

On Jul 27, 2007, at 6:46 AM, Stefan Bidigaray wrote:

1) I still haven't figured out how I'm going to count how many minutes it's been since the last even, and much less how to even find out if events have happened. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

2) I also have no idea how to figure if, once the screen saver is on, how to stop if when something happens (mouse move, key stroke, mouse click). I've looked at the docs for NSView and there doesn't seem to be any methods that would make this easy. What can I do here?

If you are going to write a screen saver, you will need to get support from the window system (X11, if you're just targeting that). The GNUstep framework won't help you with system-wide event handling. I'd recommend looking at other screen-saver implementations, such as the GNOME screensaver (which is probably the most rigorous one written - although it's hard to follow, it has a very good philosophy), and also the basic xscreensaver. You also need to be very aware of the security issues surround screen savers and password handling (if you implement that).