Re: FYI and a few questions...

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: FYI and a few questions...
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:47:40 -0600

On Jul 27, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Fred Kiefer wrote:

Stefan Bidigaray wrote:

4) Lastly, I'll need a lot of help creating ScreenSaverDefaults, but
only later. I've check NSUserDefaults' code and I'm more confused now than I was when I started out. I figured for this, the best thing would
be to create a new file (ScreenSaverDefaults) under the Defaults
directory. NSUserDefaults, however, seems to be very picky about there
being a process running and writing to that process.

You should just not worry about your settings being in a separate file
or not. GNUstep currently stores all defaults in one file, which btw I
do not like. All you need to do is to get and set your values from/in
[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] and things should work as expected.

I think the concern here was sharing defaults between a preferences application and the actual screen save tool (which might need to be some kind of daemon, or at least might need to be a daemon that handles starting the screen saver). I don't really have a good answer for how to do this. There could be several ways - writing your own defaults file might be one of them.

Also, there's the issue of system-wide defaults vs user-defaults, which NSUserDefaults doesn't handle currently (AFAIK), but that could be useful for a screensaver.