Re: FYI and a few questions...

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: FYI and a few questions...
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:25:06 -0400

On 7/27/07, Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:
If you are going to write a screen saver, you will need to get
support from the window system (X11, if you're just targeting that).
The GNUstep framework won't help you with system-wide event
handling.  I'd recommend looking at other screen-saver
implementations, such as the GNOME screensaver (which is probably the
most rigorous one written - although it's hard to follow, it has a
very good philosophy), and also the basic xscreensaver. You also need
to be very aware of the security issues surround screen savers and
password handling (if you implement that).

I figured this was going to be a problem!  Isn't there anyway I can poll GNUstep-only applications though?  Presumably, in an utopia, there would only be GNUstep applications running, so if they aren't getting events, it would be safe to assume that nothing is getting events.

Yen-Ju, I'll take a closer look at Idle.  I follow Etoile-dev and -discuss list quite a bit and have read about it before.  I was, however, hoping to make this framework only dependent on GNUstep so that it could run everywhere and not only on X.  If push comes to shove, I've messed with X programming before and think I could use it to get something working this way, but again, I rather not.

As for password handling, I don't plan on implementing anything like.  It would be nice to get password protection, but I just can't think of dealing with it now, specially since I have limited programming experience (heck, this project is a complete mess right now).

The defaults issue is that Apple's explanation of ScreenSaverDefaults makes it sound like it should be a separate file.  It would also make sense, because lets say there's a screen saver called "Terminal", well, there's also an application called Terminal and it would be a mess if both tried to share the same file.  Like I said, I'm not too worried about it right now, I'd rather get everything else working before doing this.

Stefan