Re: Getting to 1.0 for gui

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Getting to 1.0 for gui
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 22:06:25 +0100

Matt Rice wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2007 7:08 AM, Gregory John Casamento
> <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     All,
>
>     I'd like to have a discussion and come to a consensus on what
>     everyone feels would comprise a 1.0 gui release.
>
>     Please let me know your thoughts on the matter.
>

> i hadn't seen mentioned the postscript & pdf output from NSViews e.g.
> -dataWithEPSInsideRect:/-dataWithPDFInsideRect:
>
> this may be working as it has been a long time since i tried it but when
> i did, I seemed to only get a portion of the view (though the portion
> looked alright)

The PDF output has never been implemented in GNUstep. There now is an
experimental implementation in the cairo backend, but it should be
handled with care :-)

My impression is that the PS output still is wrong, even when printing.
But this needs a deeper rework, as the whole mechanism here is rather
complex and most likely broken. I spend some time during the recent
months to get it more or less working with cairo and from that
experience I know that this code isn't easy.

> though it may have been in a clip view, i cannot recall if it was in one
> or not
>
> anyhow things may have changed since then I don't know, none the less
> I'd consider well tested postscript output 1.0 release worthy,
> pdf would be also nice, but at least one of the two
>
> almost forgot chaos inhibitors, without them, 1.0 is simply unattainable.
> and once those are in place we can make our slogan
> GNUstep now with 20% more real chaos inhibitors.

What are you referring to, this sounds like something I want to have too :-)