Re: Getting to 1.0 for gui

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: Getting to 1.0 for gui
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:43:41 -0500

On Nov 12, 2007 4:06 PM, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
The PDF output has never been implemented in GNUstep. There now is an
experimental implementation in the cairo backend, but it should be
handled with care :-)

My impression is that the PS output still is wrong, even when printing.
But this needs a deeper rework, as the whole mechanism here is rather
complex and most likely broken. I spend some time during the recent
months to get it more or less working with cairo and from that
experience I know that this code isn't easy.

Just FYI, might be worth keeping tabs on: http://gnupdf.org/ (GNUpdf)!  From their website: "The goal of the GNU PDF project is to develop and provide a free, high-quality, complete and portable set of libraries and programs to manage the PDF file format, and associated technologies."  From what I've gathered, they just want a fully portable PDF library (unlike xpdf it's derivative poppler).  They seem promising, and from what I've gather one of their goals is to be able to easily write different backends to it.  Keep in mind they're still not even close to be done, though.

Stefan