Re: KeyValueCoding compatibility issues

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: KeyValueCoding compatibility issues
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:29:17 +0100

Helge Hess schrieb:
> On 29.11.2007, at 22:23, David Ayers wrote:
>
>> I understand that -base intends to track Cocoa while GDL2 and GSWeb  aim
>> at an ancient static API.
>

> I didn't look at Marcus' patch but on MacOS *both* KVC styles work at
> the same time, w/o any #define's or such. I assume it does so by
> checking whether the -setValue:forKey: method being invoked is the
> NSObject one (new style was not overridden), and if so, checking for -
> takeValue:forKey:. etc

Well, the patch I read (and what I belive was committed):

http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/gnustep?rev=25639&view=rev

seems to have removed

- all 'stored' KVC methods
- useStoredAccessor
- handleQueryWithUnboundKey:
- handleTakeValue:

 unless WANT_DEPRECATED_KVC_COMPAT is defined, which it isn't by
default.  Also the runtime checking is only done if that define is set.

But even if the define is set, I'm unsure that the runtime checks will
lead to the expected results.  Just because the method in NSObject isn't
overriden by a subclass doesn't necessarily mean it expects the new
behavior.  Most EO (and other KVC traversal) classes I deal with do not
override the KVC primatives.

So I understand the intention but I don't think we are reaching the result.

Cheers,