Re: Next release

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 21:36:13 -0500

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mar 2, 2008, at 3:51 AM, Riccardo wrote:
> About stable, since I gather Debian tracks stable (?) it would be
> nice to have some of the printing stuff backported to stable: PRICE
> doesn't compile against current debian packages. But it is just my
> guess: htey have an reasonably up to date base, but a horrid old gui
> and I thought it was that they track stable.

Debian stable has pretty old stuff.  The Debian testing release has
our latest "stable" packages, which I am now noticing are almost a
year old (from initial release). Perhaps we could think about making a
new stable branch...

Debian Unstable (Sid) tends to only track stable packages of anything!  The so called "unstable" Debian branch is just unstable due to package problems, but the packages in it are generally the latest stable (assuming there's someone maintaining them).

Although (my two cents), the "unstable" label is a bit of a misnomer,
in the vast majority of cases, you could probably install any new
unstable release, and your old apps would work fine without a
recompile (aside from the so name change). Although we could do a
little better with ABI compatibility, for the most part, only API
changes happen in the unstable branch...

I'd really like to see that!  ABI compatibility goes a long way, specially when GNUstep starts having more applications built around it.  At the moment it's already a chore trying to rebuild everything (off the top of my head I need at least 10 apps/frameworks just to do basic stuff).

Of course, there's always that balancing act between keeping up with Cocoa or updating the API and keeping ABI compatibility.  Seeing as I don't understand ObjC enough to know what brakes ABI, I guess I'm just talking out of my ass, but I still think there should be more stable releases before moving on (at the current state there were 2 GUI/Back releases and 3 Base).

Just my opinion on this issue, I know it's way off topic and has been discussed more than it should have.

Sorry so bringing it up again...
Stefan