Re: Next release

From: Hubert Chathi
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 15:00:53 -0500

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 11:51:01 +0100, Riccardo <address@hidden> said:

> Hi,
> On 2008-03-02 00:18:47 +0100 Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:

> It's time for another release.  I'll make an unstable release of the  core
>> libraries late next week.  I also plan a stable base release, but I
>> will not make a stable release of the gui libraries, unless there is
>> some important patch the someone wants there (or better yet, patch
>> the stable branch yourself so I don't have to do it).
> I know of no blocking issues, I should probably give a compile test on
> gcc 2.95 in the next days, just to be sure.  About stable, since I
> gather Debian tracks stable (?) it would be nice to have some of the
> printing stuff backported to stable: PRICE doesn't compile against
> current debian packages. But it is just my guess: htey have an
> reasonably up to date base, but a horrid old gui and I thought it was
> that they track stable.

Yes, Debian currently tracks the stable branch.  My understanding was
that the purpose for stable was to provide a stable ABI for application
developers to target.

But I'm hearing more about applications that need the unstable branch to
compile.  (PRICE, and simpleagenda.app, at least.)  So, is it better to
track stable or unstable at this point?

Hubert
(with his Debian Developer hat on)

--