Re: GDL2 EOFault.m patch to fix -[EOFault forward::] on MacOS 10.4

From: Tim McIntosh
Subject: Re: GDL2 EOFault.m patch to fix -[EOFault forward::] on MacOS 10.4
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 03:15:02 -0600

On Mar 6, 2008, at 7:39 AM, David Ayers wrote:

Is this patch too evil, or can we do something like this?

Hehe... actually, it's not evil enough. ;-)

I've committed a patch that should replace the runtime implementation
pointer of EOFault's forward:: method with the one of NSObject.  This
should also save us a level of indirection at the price of not being
able to set a breakpoint in gdb for EOFault'S forward::.

For gnu-gnu-gnu (i.e. the GNU runtime) forward:: is actually not called anymore so I can't really test it. Could you please let me know if this
works for you?

Thanks! It works with the new patch below, i.e., check for NULL. I forgot to mention that it appears that forward:: is neither called nor implemented by NSObject under 10.5. It is implemented and called under 10.4.

It allows -[EOFault forward::] to work on MacOS 10.4, gets rid of some code duplicated from NSObject.m, and allows the following unimplemented methods to
be deleted from GSCategories.h and GSCompatibility.m in base:

// Used only in EOFault.m, -[EOFault forward::], for Object compatibility
   @interface NSInvocation(GSCompatibility)
   - (retval_t) returnFrame:(arglist_t)args;
   - (id) initWithArgframe:(arglist_t)args selector:(SEL)selector;
   @end

Indeed, if this works (and if that was really the last place these
methods were used) then I'm fine with having this removed from -base.

The comment shown above is from the actual code in SVN, though I don't know if it is true. I deleted these methods in my copy and have not noticed any problems, but that's not saying much.

Thanks again,
Tim