RE: case sensitivity in make flags

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: case sensitivity in make flags
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 00:18:30 +0100 (CET)

> Inspectors_HAS_RESOURCE_BUNDLE=YES
>
> this has ceased to work changing it to
>
> Inspectors_HAS_RESOURCE_BUNDLE=yes
>
> fixes it, but should this be case sensitive?

Thanks Matt,

that's a very good point :-)

I absolutely agree with you

At the moment, all the gnustep-make boolean flags take the "yes" vs "no"
argument
(case-sensitive)

But as you very correctly point out, that makes lot of sense for variables
which are lowercase (eg, debug=yes, messages=yes, strip=yes), but is not
really natural for variables that are uppercase - eg,
xxx_HAS_RESOURCE_BUNDLE=yes,
where obviously it comes more natural to write xxx_HAS_RESOURCE_BUNDLE=YES. :-(

Here are a few ideas ...

 1. (your suggestion) we could update everything to try and allow both
uppercase and
lowercase versions of 'yes'.  (I like this because it allows you to use the
more natural
xxx_HAS_RESOURCE_BUNDLE=YES without breaking existing makefiles that already
use
xxx_HAS_RESOURCE_BUNDLE=yes)

 2. (another approach) we could update everything to check and report
unexpected values;
so even if we only allow 'yes' at least we'll print a clear warning if you set
it to
'YES'. (I like this because it also catches mispells, eg, make messages=ues
would trigger
a warning)

Probably we should do both :-) ... ie, allow both "yes" and "YES", and also warn
if any value other than "yes", "YES", "no" or "NO" is being used.  If that looks
good, I have it ready. :-)

Anyway, other suggestions or comments welcome

I believe that Adam is doing a gnustep-make stable release soon, so I wouldn't
want
to make changes to subversion until he's done - so no hurry :-) - but it will
get
done.

Thanks