GSOC: desktop integration

From: Hubert Chathi
Subject: GSOC: desktop integration
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:02:45 -0400

Hi all,

I'm looking at applying for Google's SOC this year.  I'm interested in
looking at GNU/Linux desktop integration issues.  So I'd like to look
at:
- the window focusing issues, and making GNUstep work well in all window
  managers
- looking at which freedesktop.org standards it would make sense for
  GNUstep to implement
- looking at providing bindings/interfaces for some freedesktop.org
  software (e.g. dbus is mentioned on the wiki)
- although not exactly desktop-integration work, I could also look at
  bitmap image reading/writing support

Does this sound like a worthwhile project?  What scope would be
reasonable for GSOC?  Are there other things I should be looking at?

Hubert