Re: GSOC: desktop integration

From: Hubert Chathi
Subject: Re: GSOC: desktop integration
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:30:05 -0400

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:57:32 -0800, "Matt Rice" <address@hidden> said:

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Hubert Chathi <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking at applying for Google's SOC this year.  I'm interested
>> in looking at GNU/Linux desktop integration issues.  So I'd like to
>> look at: - the window focusing issues, and making GNUstep work well
>> in all window managers

> I think this is a good idea, though I am wondering the scope of your
> intent, e.g. to make gnustep usable with sloppy focus, or to fix
> issues with click-to-focus, or both

> i think these are separate issues so maybe you could elaborate a bit.

I'm not sure exactly what the issues are, or how much work is involved
in solving them.  I just saw the issue listed on the wiki, and I
remember reading some discussion about it on the bugs mailing list.

>> - looking at which freedesktop.org standards it would make sense for
>> GNUstep to implement
>> - looking at providing bindings/interfaces for some freedesktop.org
>> software (e.g. dbus is mentioned on the wiki)
>> - although not exactly desktop-integration work, I could also look at
>> bitmap image reading/writing support
>>
>> Does this sound like a worthwhile project?  What scope would be
>> reasonable for GSOC?  Are there other things I should be looking at?
>>

> as far as other things

> one more idea is finishing up the update to the latest xdnd
> specification, and filling in the missing conversions so we can drag
> and drop between gnustep and X apps

Right, xdnd.  I knew there was a big thing that I was forgetting
something when I wrote the email.  Yes, that's another thing that I
would be interested in working on.

--
Hubert Chathi - Email/Jabber: address@hidden - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)