Re: bindings and Renaissance

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: bindings and Renaissance
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:20:19 +0100

Xavier Glattard wrote:
> I'm playing with Renaissance : i just add a 'bind' tag and some examples.
>
> <bind source="#source" label="binding" target="#target" key="key.path"/>
>
> is (or should be) equivalent to :
>
> [#source bind: @"binding" toObject:#target withKeyPath:@"key.path"
>
> But the examples do not work as expected.
>
> 1) Examples/bindings.gsmarkup, two textFields, one value.
> I had to create two bindings between the two fields. I thought a bindings was
> two-way....

Could you please explain a bit more what you are expecting and what you
get? The binding code in gui is still unfinished, but basic two way
interaction should work, at least in the cases where the bindings are
already defined.
You do understand that the binding behaviour is not symmetrical? At
least not in my implementation and I think that is how Apple handles it
as well.
Did you test your code on MacOSX, was there any difference in behaviour?

> 2) Examples/stepper-bindings.gsmarkup
> NSStepper seems not to support binding properly : i get an error message about
> Glyph... And i had to define a target/action

This description is not that helpful :-) Could you please describe some
more what should happen? I don't have the latest renaissance test code.
Perhaps I should get that first and have a look. It may well be that you
are trying to use an unsupported binding here.
New bindings are rather easy to add in gui, I am just a bit lazy.

> 3) the 'sendActionOn' attribute seems broken, the textField only 'act' when i
> press the Enter key. Is it a Renaissance issue ?

What did you set the sendActionOn mask to? Most likely this isn't
supported for text fields at the moment. If you come up with a
description of what Apple does, we might be able to supply something
similar.

> Did i miss something or does gnustep needs some fixings ?

The later is always the case, I don't know about the former :-)