Re: PATCH: suppress deprecation warnings on OS X Leopard

From: Tim McIntosh
Subject: Re: PATCH: suppress deprecation warnings on OS X Leopard
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:11:26 -0500

On Mar 30, 2008, at 9:27 AM, Nicola Pero wrote:

The right fix still seems to be to update the Apple runtime code in gnustep-base to work with the new runtime if available, but in the meanwhile if we add the -Wno-deprecated flag, we should probably add it inside gnustep-base so that when support for the new runtime is available, we
can remove it in sync. :-)

It's been a few months, so I'm starting to forget everything, but IIRC, I did a small bit of work in this area when creating the GNUstepWeb packages for Mac OS X:

        http://hoth.radiofreeomaha.net:3000/~tmcintos/GNUstepWeb/

I believe I was also trying to reorganize some code to eliminate the need to include GSObjCRuntime.h in GSCategories.h and minimize the inclusion of GSObjCRuntime.h in general outside of -base. I was planning to go back and sort all of this out when I found some time-- reviewing everything, eliminating unnecessary changes, and breaking the remaining changes down into smaller patches that I could submit for consideration--but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

GNUstep seems to do a lot of mucking with the runtime structures that are no longer visible with Obj-C 2.0, so I think the changes I made were just barely scratching the surface in view of what is actually needed. Not being familiar enough with the GNUstep code base, I have to wonder if all of the direct use of the runtime APIs is really needed; I can see where it would be necessary on occasion within - base, but I was surprised by the number of times I saw it being used in higher-level frameworks.

-Tim