Re: PATCH: suppress deprecation warnings on OS X Leopard

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: PATCH: suppress deprecation warnings on OS X Leopard
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 00:31:35 +0200

Tim McIntosh schrieb:

> GNUstep seems to do a lot of mucking with the runtime structures that
> are no longer visible with Obj-C 2.0, so I think the changes I made were
> just barely scratching the surface in view of what is actually needed.
> Not being familiar enough with the GNUstep code base, I have to wonder
> if all of the direct use of the runtime APIs is really needed;  I can
> see where it would be necessary on occasion within -base, but I was
> surprised by the number of times I saw it being used in higher-level
> frameworks.

Indeed we heavily rely on that mucking in GDL2.

1) KVC semantics... WO45 and -base/Cocoa just differ. (I'm still owe you
a reply wrt but I still need clear up some misconception I might have
had before I continue here).

2) EOEditingContext does not (necessarily) retain the objects it
observes but should automagically remove them when the get dealloced.
So here we muck with NSObjects -dealloc (yes, painful and I'm open to
suggestions)

(there maybe more... I haven't checked)

Now if we would stop supporting OS X, I'm sure we could work something
out with -base to make this cleaner... but I kind of doubt that would be
in your interest ;-)

But let me state this clearly... we are not mucking in the runtime for
performance reasons... we are just trying to get WO45 compatibility.  So
if anyone has better ideas on how we can solve these issues with the
public API of Foundation, I'm up for it!

Cheers,