Re: GPLv2 licensing issues

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: GPLv2 licensing issues
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:10:12 -0700 (PDT)

Here is the email I sent...
----

Brett,

We're having some issues after the move to LGPLv3.  Specifically there are some
applications which are GPLv2 only.

Wouldit be possible to get an exception for GNUstep which would allow this.
Alternatively, would it be possible for GNUstep to be considered a"System
Library" so that the exception for that applies.    I amstarting to wonder to
myself if we didn't move too hastily when movingGNUstep to GPL v3 of the
license.

Currently this is being discussed at length on the GNUstep-discusslist which is
hosted by the FSF.   Please make any comments you feelrelevant there if you can.

I would like to discuss exceptionsthat we can consider or any other possible
solutions.   My cell phoneis (240)274-9630 and my home phone is (301)362-9640.

We might consider the following, if possible:
 /* As a special exception, if you link this library with files compiled with
   GCC to produce an executable, this does not cause the resulting executable
   to be covered by the GNU General Public License. This exception does not
   however invalidate any other reasons why the executable file might be
   covered by the GNU General Public License.  */

This was taken from libobjc.  Please let me know.

Later, GJC

Gregory Casamento -- Principal Consultant - OLC, Inc
# GNUstep Chief Maintainer