Re: GPLv2 licensing issues

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: GPLv2 licensing issues
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:11:03 +0200

Hubert Chathi wrote:
Crap.  I was hoping that poppler/xpdf was the only truly problemmatic
case.  Would it be feasible to steal code from xterm instead?  There's
also iTerm that the Étoilé people have started work porting, which is
licensed under GPLv2 or later.

I also found rote, which is a terminal emulation library licensed under
the LGPL:
http://rote.sourceforge.net/

Possible? Certainly. The terminal emulation is somewhat factored out already, so all you need to do is implement the TerminalParser protocol (with some practical caveats).

However, I'm not at all happy about the idea of replacing the current linux kernel based terminal emulation code. When I started writing Terminal.app, I looked around a bit to decide whether to write my own terminal emulation, or borrow from some other project.

I found that all the terminal emulators I tested (xterm, xiterm, rvxt, gnome's, kde's, etc.) failed at one point or the other (i.e. they'd mess up handling complex curses applications, with screen corruption or incorrect rendering or whatever as a result). The one "terminal" that never gave me any trouble was the linux console, so I swiped the terminal emulation code from that.

It's been nearly six years since then, and I think experience has shown that that was a very good idea. The terminal emulation part of Terminal.app has worked flawlessly. In fact, I can't recall ever finding or receiving a report about any problem related to that part of Terminal.app, ever.

I daresay that it's rare for anything software related to work that well. Replacing that code (for non-technical reasons, even!) is not tempting at all.

- Alexander Malmberg