Re: Coding style question

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Coding style question
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:56:48 +0200

Am 14.04.2008 um 11:29 schrieb Fred Kiefer:
[...] the new 10.5 style of using NSInteger and NSUInteger instead of int and unsigned int.

GNUstep already has these types defined in NSObjCRuntime.h and my question now is, whether we should slowly switch over to use these types in the API definitions?

Well, I'm still stunning why people prefer variable types of undefined size[1] (int, NSInteger, etc.) over those with defined size (int16, int32, int64, etc.). To my understanding of coding, one should always care about the size of variables, ruling out types of undefined size. Additionally, ideal code compiles and works on a 16 bit platform just as good as on a 128 bit platform, without conditional code or similar clutches.

So, an enhancement over Cocoa would be to get rid of int as well as of NS(U)Integer.

With that off my chest, I think moving to NSInteger is better than sticking with int. Undoubtly, one day Apple will start to do things with NSInteger you can't do with the traditional types.

Markus

[1] Sure, on a given platform, int has a defined size. But GNUstep is meant to be platform independent, isn't it?

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/