Re: GSoC participant

From: Hubert Chathi
Subject: Re: GSoC participant
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:39:16 -0400

I'm another GSoC participant.  My project is "Addressing desktop
integration issues" or something like that.  It's a bit of an open-ended
project, since there are so many things that I could work on, and so it
will depend on what Fred and I decide I should work on.  However,
initial ideas are:
- fixing window focusing issues
- ensuring that we support all applicable EWMH hints as much as makes
  sense for GNUstep
- XDND
- startup notification
- XEmbed client support
- System Tray
- gstreamer
- avahi (for Apple's NSNetService API)
- improved .desktop file support
- icon naming

Just a bit about myself: I've been involved with GNUstep since 2005, and
became the main maintainer for the Debian packages of the GNUstep core
libraries (don't blame me for the funny filesystem layout.  We were
forced to follow the FHS).  And I've been involved with free software
since at least 1996.  However, this will be my first time doing any sort
of low-level X11 coding, so I'm looking forward to learning more about
it.

I'm a Ph.D. student in Computer Science, hopefully finishing up this
year (once my dissertation is done), which I guess puts me on the "old"
end of GSoC.  I'm studying at the University of Waterloo in Ontario,
Canada.

Congratulations to my fellow GSoCers.  Both of the other projects look
interesting, and I hope that we can all help to improve GNUstep.

Hubert