Re: GSoC participant

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GSoC participant
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:32:20 +0200 (CEST)

>> "fixing window focusing issues" is a big chunk of work, mostly
>> because of
>> the conflicts between the different philosophies - you'll need to
>> figure
>> out a plan to work these out.  Eg, what do you do if the window
>> manager's
>> window focusing mechanism clearly conflicts with the OpenStep API. ;-)
>
> Well. let's start simpler. Use WindowMaker. "official" windowmanager.
> Set it to have OpenStep behaviour. You still have focus problems. SO
> before accomodating "foreign" stuff, the standard neets to work
> reliably. Let's not confuse Hubert.

Starting simple/specific is always a good idea :-)

But because of the wildly different behaviours of different desktop
environments, fixing the GNUstep focus behaviour with one environment
could mean breaking it with another environment.

So while starting with one (or two) specific environments is an excellent idea
as it helps understanding the details and the issues, the core of the problem
is not just "fixing" one environment at the expense of all others, but
figuring out a plan for dealing with the general problem of different focus
environments.  We need an intelligent solution.  I think Hubert should keep
that objective in mind.

Thanks