Re: GSoC participant

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: GSoC participant
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:36:00 -0500

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Riccardo <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

"fixing window focusing issues" is a big chunk of work, mostly because of
the conflicts between the different philosophies - you'll need to figure
out a plan to work these out.  Eg, what do you do if the window manager's
window focusing mechanism clearly conflicts with the OpenStep API. ;-)

Well. let's start simpler. Use WindowMaker. "official" windowmanager. Set it to have OpenStep behaviour. You still have focus problems. SO before accomodating "foreign" stuff, the standard neets to work reliably. Let's not confuse Hubert.

Not just that, but if GNUstep itself handles window management + decorations (GSXHandlesWindowDecoration==NO) you will have focusing issues with menus disappearing, application windows disappearing, etc.  And with this setup the assumption is that GNUstep doesn't have to deal with anything but itself.

That being said, I think we're already off to a better start this year than last!  Last years projects where great, but I felt there was a little bit of a lack of communication between the students and the mailing-list.  I'm the type of person that likes to be informed all the time about everything (I track the changes to SVN through CIA.vc daily).

I also like the fact that we have at least one student that came over from the Mac world as this shows that GNUstep is growing beyond a grassroots-type project.

If I didn't say it before: You guys are awesome! :)

Stefan