Re: AppKit (Win32) generals questions

From: Thierry DELHAISE
Subject: Re: AppKit (Win32) generals questions
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 16:04:11 +0200

Gregory John Casamento a écrit :
Thierry,

GNUstep can be made to have a native win32 look through the use of themes.
Great ! But ... this is not enought and this is my fault (sorry) since I've asked about look and should not have to. What I want is that my Application be a Native win32 application using MS Windows application recommendations : using of standards panel, alowing interaction with clipboard, and Windows services (ODBC, COM, OLE) , Windows toolbar's, etc ...So what I want , is that GNUstep be a layer between my application code and Win32.
Currently there is no plan for using the standard panels.   This would be a
welcome change, since it would help GS blend into the OS better.
Yes, I saw, and this is where I can may be contribute to the project but with the directions/recommendations of some old steppers ;-) (let call them gurus ! ;-) ).

After spending my morning time to dig into GNUstep implementation I've some (certainly stupid) questions about how is port GNUstep on Win32 :

So on Win32, the concept of DisplayServer have been port ? What was the functionnal need for this, I mean for Win32 ? It seems to me (but may be I'm wrong) that the display server have the functionnal job to draw all (GNUstep) windows inside an application. So, DisplayServer is in charge of drawing low level window letting gnustep gui drawing all controls with the look of GNUsetp since gui don't use native control on win32 (?). It seems too that it have to handle drag and drop operations and may be clipboard interaction ? Why not have let this jobs to operating system ? Since on win32 windows could do the jobs ? (I know that win32 do mostly bad job ;-) but this one, since it do it since so many years, we can hope it will do it mostly correctly ;-), no ?

In this area, does controls in the spirit of GNUstep have to be draw by GNUstep or could those be the native one's ? This questions since I pretty sure that developping a Win32 theme could spent a lot of time to recreate the exact look and feel (and function) of an allready existing control under the native platform. And I'm not sure (but may be I'm wrong) that Mac's users, or *nix one's want to have a win32 native look on their host platform ? I know that *Step one's want to remember the good day's ... so I understand why there is a need to draw controls or windows or menus with *Step look and feel in mind ;-) (my Sun's OpenStep workstation died last years ... ;-) )

The only issue with using the standard panels is accessory views, since there's
no way for them to be shown in the standard panel.
I can search(confirm) but I'm pretty sure this is possible in standard windows panel : I'm remembering some code I've wrote to "adapt" the OpenFile dialog (to display a preview of a file) under WindowsNT 4.0. I think this is allways possible . Like you can do this with PrintDialog, PrintPreview, and some others ...

As far as I know there is some cooperation between the clipboard and win32 apps. There is obviously more work to do.
Ok great. What are the persons who can inform me in about the "good" direction (and the win32 implementation they wrote) ?

Thx for your time
Later, Gregory Casamento -- Principal Consultant - OLC, Inc # GNUstep Chief Maintainer

Later,

Thierry