Re: AppKit (Win32) generals questions

From: Thierry DELHAISE
Subject: Re: AppKit (Win32) generals questions
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 17:17:20 +0200

Markus Hitter a écrit :

Am 08.05.2008 um 16:04 schrieb Thierry DELHAISE:
In this area, does controls in the spirit of GNUstep have to be draw by GNUstep or could those be the native one's ?

While drawing the stuff might be easily done, what's about the different event models?
I would say (for the user) the event model proposed by other native applications on his/her platform, but this don't resolve our jobs either in GNUstep point of view ... ;-)

This questions since I pretty sure that developping a Win32 theme could spent a lot of time to recreate the exact look and feel (and function) of an allready existing control under the native platform.

Perhaps the last bit of identical behaviour aren't that easy, but Win32 apps, even those shipped by MS aren't that consistent either.
I agree with that, and even if win32 user agree with that too, the general point of view about application running on THEIR OS should adopt the conventions (even if those are wrong... ;-) ) . This don't help either ;-)

And I'm not sure (but may be I'm wrong) that Mac's users, or *nix one's want to have a win32 native look on their host platform ?

While there's some discussion wether GNUstep should keep the GNUstep look on every platform or prefer the native one, most likely people would rebel if you'd force them to have a Win32 look on Mac OS X.
I agree with that too : as a Mac User, I'm happy that Mactopia never gave us "à la Windows" toolbar in their Office ports on OSX ... ;-) but I'm pretty sure they tried ;-)

Thierry