Re: install_name for libraries and frameworks on OS X

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: install_name for libraries and frameworks on OS X
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 18:05:59 +0200 (CEST)

> I don't think that's a problem, as you're supposed to use DESTDIR when
> installing to a different (temporary) location. Still it might be nice
> to make the patch configurable.

Thanks - good point/correction - I always thought that DESTDIR was a general
tool
that could also be used in permanent installs, not just temporary ones, but I
checked
and you are right - the GNU Coding Standards specify that

"Prepending the variable DESTDIR to each target in this way provides for staged
installs, where the installed files are not placed directly into their expected
location but are instead copied into a temporary location (DESTDIR). However,
installed files maintain their relative directory structure and any embedded
file names will not be modified.

You should not set the value of DESTDIR in your Makefile at all; then the files
are installed into their expected locations by default. Also, specifying
DESTDIR should not change the operation of the software in any way, so its
value should not be included in any file contents."

It may be worth checking gnustep-make and making sure that this is enforced -
hmmm.

Anyway, your objection looks correct, I guess point 2. in my email shouldn't be
such
a problem then :-)

Thanks