Re: install_name for libraries and frameworks on OS X

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: install_name for libraries and frameworks on OS X
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 14:02:55 +0200 (CEST)

> 1) Update configure.ac in gnustep-make so it prints a warning if the
> user is on darwin and uses a filesystem layout other than 'apple'.
> This warning will tell the user they need to either set
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH in their shell's environment
> as well as in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist, or they need to install
> libraries and frameworks with an absolute install name (see below).

It looks good

Maybe you could make the warning specific to using the 'apple-apple-apple'
library-combo (ie, building using the Apple frameworks).  If you are using
the 'gnu-gnu-gnu' library-combo, then the right thing to do might be to
source GNUstep.sh in your shell ?

> 2) Add an option to make to use an absolute install name when linking
> the library or framework.  I tend to like the single word options to
> make.  Would you be opposed to me simply calling the option
> 'absolute'?  The end user could then simply type "make absolute=yes"
> when building the library or framework.

It looks good.  I had a look around and I realized that most platform options
we have at the moment are set at configure time though.  Would that make
things easier ?  We could also use a longer expressive name there (you have
to type it only once), ie

./configure --enable-absolute-install-paths

that could set a variable (ABSOLUTE_INSTALL_PATHS = YES/NO) in config.make.
The same variable could then be overridden on the command-line (as in, make
ABSOLUTE_INSTALL_PATHS=NO) if needed for a special occasion, but I'd expect
that most people will consistently either use the option, or not use it, so
they'd set it once in ./configure and be happy.

How does this sound ? :-)

Thanks