Re: NSWindow & NSGraphicsContext issue

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSWindow & NSGraphicsContext issue
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:32:59 +0100

On 18 May 2008, at 16:51, Fred Kiefer wrote:

Last week I tried to resolve a circular refernce problem between NSWindow and NSGraphicsContext.

The source of the problem is that when an NSWindow gets displayed it generates an NSGraphicsContext (or rather a subclass) which will then manage all the actual drawing. The window retain the context and the context has an info dictionary which includes the window. That way we already start off with a circular reference. To break this I released the window once, to adjust the retain count.

Well ... my immediate thought is that the window should not be stored in the info dictionary. When a context is created, the contents of the attributes dictionary should be extracted and stored in ivars and either retained or not retained as appropriate for each attribute. When the -attributes method is called, a new dictionary should be generated from the attributes stored in ivars. Then the retain cycle goes away, and you can use a private method to allow a window to zero the ivar when it is deallocating itsself (if necessary: it isn't necessary unless the graphics context can somehow be used after the window is deallocated).