Re: -lpthread

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: -lpthread
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 17:25:05 +0100

If it helps, I am on FreeBSD, but I have had other users report the same issue on Ubuntu.

David

On 3 Jun 2008, at 17:23, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On 2 Jun 2008, at 15:43, David Chisnall wrote:

Hi,

It seems that recent GNUstep does not supply the -lpthread flag to the linker, just -pthread. The semantics of -pthread are really badly defined - on some platforms it does nothing, on some it sets some macros, on some it implies -lpthread, on others it does not.

I thought gnustep-make supplied -lpthread on platforms where it was needed.

The problem I am encountering is that libobjc and foundation both depend on pthread symbols, but are not being linked against the pthread library.

I'm guessing that this is a platform specific problem ... on my machine (64 bit intel debian) base links with -lpthread

Is it possible to modify the configure script for gnustep-base so that it will link directly against libpthread? Otherwise we end up with apps that make no direct use of threads failing to build because they have an indirect dependency.

I'm sure we could modify the base configure script, but I think gnustep-make is (and should be) dealing with this already.
Can you find out why it's not being used on your system?