Re: Next stable release?

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: Next stable release?
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 00:03:22 +0200

Hi,

Can we officially deprecate the x11 back end in this release and recommend Cairo? The OpenBSD package, for example, uses the x11 back end and I don't think this gives people the best impression of GNUstep. I've been using Cairo since AlpenStep last year and after Fred fixed a few bugs about a month later I've had no problems with it at all.

I'm, as usual, against that. x11 is a good and efficient backend. It is already deprecated and I dislike that. It works fine although it has some shortcomings, but in a typical X11 environment it can be configured very well (for example, bitmapped fonts without antialias look just gorgeous). Export display is unbeatable. Sure, it has shortcomings in image transformation and scrolling speed, but I'd rather see them solved.
I personally build my RPMs with X11, one depdendency less ...

Riccardo