Re: NSTableView editing problem [Was: Next stable release?]

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: NSTableView editing problem [Was: Next stable release?]
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 12:13:49 +0200

Matt Rice wrote:
On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
I was completely wrong here. The problem is at a totally different place.
Look at the code in NSTextFieldsCell that Nicola changed a few months ago:

Ahh, yes changing the below fixes it here i was confused because it is
asked to redraw the edited cell frame, but in the case that it is, the
code is doing what it should by not redrawing.

- (void) drawInteriorWithFrame: (NSRect)cellFrame inView:
(NSView*)controlView
{
 /* Do nothing if there is already a text editor doing the drawing;
  * otherwise, we draw everything twice.  That is bad if there are
  * any transparency involved (eg, even an anti-alias font!) because
  * if the semi-transparent pixels are drawn over themselves they
  * become less transparent (eg, an anti-alias font becomes darker
  * and gives the impression of being bold).
  */
 if (([controlView respondsToSelector: @selector(currentEditor)] == NO)
     || ([(NSTextField *)controlView currentEditor] == nil))
   {
     if (_textfieldcell_draws_background)
       {
         if ([self isEnabled])
           {
             [_background_color set];
           }
         else
           {
             [[NSColor controlBackgroundColor] set];
           }
         NSRectFill([self drawingRectForBounds: cellFrame]);
       }

     [super drawInteriorWithFrame: cellFrame inView: controlView];
   }
}

This basically means that a text field cell will only draw itself, when
there is no editor for the containing control view. This is nice and fine,
when the text field cell is the only cell of a text field, but in the matrix
and table view case this stops all the cells in the controller from drawing
themselves while there is an editor.

How to get of this trap? We could check if the cell is the selected cell of
its control view and only then not draw it in the editing case. This may
work as a table view has no clear notion of a selected cell and so all cells
will still get drawn, whereas matrix and normal control handle this
correctly.

Another possibility is to move the "don't draw" check into the control view.
This looks better to me. A cell should always draw itself when asked to do
so, the decision should be put somewhere else.

that seems alright to me, and appears to be what drawRow:clipRect: in
NSTableView is already doing. i've looked at the bug report that code
was added for but didn't have any luck reproducing it with the fix
disabled...

OK, so I submitted this second patch.