Re: objc native exceptions

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: objc native exceptions
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 11:04:13 +0200

Graham J Lee schrieb:
> On 27 Jun 2008, at 18:14, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>>
>> That's really bad news when using distributed objects ... you might
>> make a call to another application, an exception is raised in that
>> application, passed back and re-raised in your application which then
>> aborts your app!
>
> Isn't that just a recommendation to catch as close to the raise as
> possible, and to document all exceptions with an interface?  Or just to
> not use exceptions :-) especially as the NSError-out-parameter pattern
> is more prevalent, and seems to be the pattern Apple have settled on.

I'm unfamiliar with NSError patterns, but I'd like to point out that
NSInvocations are not only used for DO but also NSTimers and
NSUndoManager [and faults and such].  And raising exceptions through
these invocations is still very common in deployed code.

So besides the issue wrt to size [which I imagine could be very serious
issue for our embeded/handheld folks], this issue needs to be addressed
if the new exceptions are to be come default in environments where they
are supported.

Cheers,