Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r26723 - in /libs/base/trunk: ChangeLog Headers/Additi

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r26723 - in /libs/base/trunk: ChangeLog Headers/Additions/GNUstepBase/config.h.in Source/GSFFIInvocation.m configure configure.ac
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 09:54:56 +0200

Hello David

David Chisnall schrieb:
> I think calling mmap directly is the wrong solution here.  You should be
> using valloc() with the requested size rounded up to the nearest page
> size, and then use mprotect to set it as executable.  Note that most
> sane operating systems (and Vista) are moving to W^X, so you need to set
> it as writeable while creating it, then executable while using it (i.e.
> call mprotect immediately before the return).

My man page for vmalloc states:
       The  obsolete  function  valloc()  allocates  size bytes and
returns a pointer to the allocated memory.  The memory address will be a
multiple of the page
       size.  It is equivalent to memalign(sysconf(_SC_PAGESIZE),size).

I'm not sure whether you are aware of the fact that this function is
considered obsolete.

Hi Richard,

My man page for mmap states:
       MAP_ANON
              Synonym for MAP_ANONYMOUS.  Deprecated.

So to me it seems the new #ifndef logic is inverted.

Cheers,