Re: objc native exceptions

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: objc native exceptions
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 18:03:09 +0100

Native exceptions should have more overhead when they are used, and no overhead when they are not used (which is why they are also called 'zero cost' exceptions). The other problem is that they break the ABI - you can't mix setjmp/longjmp and native exceptions in the same file. This is why Apple only enable them with the 64-bit and Objective-C 2.0 runtimes (which break the ABI anyway).

Unless you are talking about just enabling the syntax and having the compiler emit setjmp/longjmp under the hood, of course. In this case, there is some overhead since they are doing the same thing that the old macros were but are going via an extra layer of indirection.

David