Re: Deadlock in NSLog

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Deadlock in NSLog
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 11:12:03 +0200

Am Freitag, den 01.08.2008, 12:06 +0100 schrieb David Chisnall:
> It appears that GNUstep is using the ObjC runtime mutex, which tries
> to emulate a recursive mutex using a non-recursive mutex.  It looked
> like there was a potential for deadlock in here when I looked at the
> code a few months ago.  Since GNUstep depends on pthreads anyway, it
> might be better to use the pthread functions directly, rather than
> going through a buggy abstraction layer.

I don't believe that bypassing the objc abstraction layer is a good
idea.

GNUstep and GNU ObjC have been ported to platforms that may not be
supported be pthreads.  In particular  I remember that FreeBSD at on
point used a different threading library that claimed POSIX/pthread
compatibility.

I would instead try to create a libobjc test case a report a bug against
libobjc to get it fixed there.  Now with all this ObjC 2.0 activity I
would believe that someone would have get GCC libobjc up to par anyway
on these platforms to be able test it there anyway.

Cheers,