Re: Colour Corruption on remote X11 with different endians

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Colour Corruption on remote X11 with different endians
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:55:40 +0200

Hi David,

could you please add this to our bug tracker with as much details (eg versions of libraries) as possible. Perhaps even screen shots of different standard windows with the different backends.

I don't have a ppc machine available, so I am not able to test any of this myself. Still I would like to help resolve the issues.

When you write that with cairo everything has its colour inverted, does this include lines, fills and text? I am sure that bitmaps get treated wrongly by our current code, but the other stuff surprises me.

As for the current art code, I knew that depths of 16 were handled incorrectly, but this may be the first report that 32 bit get handled wrongly as well.

Fred

David Chisnall wrote:
I've done a bit more testing with GNUstep and remote X11 with the X server running on PowerPC (little endian) and the apps running on x86 (big endian):

With the xlib back end, everything is fine.
With the art back end, almost everything is fine, but pixmaps have their colours inverted.
With the cairo back end, everything has its colour inverted.

Since the xlib back end lacks a number of features, this isn't ideal. It is also, however, a lot more responsive than the other two (with art being slower than cairo).