Re: installation domains

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: installation domains
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:41:11 +0100

Hi,

On 2008-10-29 19:26:13 +0100 Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

Tentative policy and development proposals ... please enhance and then we can see if we can agree on the way forward.

1. We will move to FHS as the default layout for new installations

I raise my hand against FHS as a default. While I am in favour of a compelte support for it at the choice of any packager with just a flag in gnustep-make, it should not be the default.

I remember to everybody that the best possible would be to have

/---root
 +---Local
 +---System
   +---Applications
   +---Library
 +---Network

and so on.

The next less-native version is to have "root" be placed anywhere. I still think /usr/GNUstep is a good choice, self contained and clean, following the example of many classics. /usr/local/GNUstep or /opt/GNUstep being two other classic options.

configure --prefix=/
configure --prefix=/opt/GNUstep

just at your fingertips.

FHS support is good for those who strive for the standard and thus shall be supported, but it is not what we should offer by default. Sorry.

my personal 2 cents.
  Riccaardo