Re: NSView bounds transformations

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSView bounds transformations
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:57:27 +0000

On 12 Nov 2008, at 08:10, Fred Kiefer wrote:

As I wrote I am currently working on that area again and this time I
think I understood the whole idea behind all these frame and bounds
transformations (OK, not for bounds size, but all the rest).
Before I go on and make some more changes I would like to discuss the
next concept here. What I want to change is the frame transformation,
these should no longer try to adjust the _boundsMatrix when this is
present. We should keep on changing the _bounds directly, as long as
there isn't a _boundsMatrix, but when that is present,w e should just
compute the new bounds with the inverse transform and leave the
transform itself unchanged. Does this sound correct to you?

I can't have much input here as I never do this sort of graphical programming. What you say sounds reasonable, but I think the real answer is to figure out what the possibilities are, then devise a test program to to show what is happening and run it on MacOS-X to get a definitive answer.

One other point, I would like to extend the test suit with more
transformation test (mixed ones). For this I will need the correct
expected values first and this would be fairly easy if I were able to
run the test on an Apple machine. So now the question, how would I
achieve that? What is needed to run our test suite on an Apple machine
against their frameworks?

I have built and run the testsuite for the base library on MacOS-X using the Apple Foundation, so it's certainly possible to do that (though obviously some tests for gnustep specific features need to be omitted by putting the correct #ifdef in the test programs etc) I don't recall anything very special being needed - just gnustep-make configured for apple-apple-apple.