Re: GNUstep on 64 bit Windows - Patch for gnustep base submitted

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUstep on 64 bit Windows - Patch for gnustep base submitted
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:27:43 +0100

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> On 17 Nov 2008, at 14:23, Roland Schwingel wrote:
>
>> Apple has defined NSInteger/NSUInteger with Mac OS 10.5 and also has
>> changed the method signatures for ALL classes showing these limitations.
>> I have seen you have already started to also define these datatypes
>> and to slowly use it.
>
> Yes.
>
>> IMHO the whole gnustep should also be adapted to
>> use NSInteger/NSUInteger to on one side be method compatible with
>> Mac OS X and on the other side to fully use the potential of
>> 64bit cpus/operating systems.
>
> I agree.

I also support this switch, but I would like to discuss the semantics of
these defines. Should NSInteger always denote a 64 bit entity on a 64
bit system and 32 bit on a 32 system?
This will require that we not only change the interface of many methods,
but also implementation details relying on the tpye int.

What types should we use to make sure we have real 32/64 data? (For
example when reading on disk structures) GSConfig.h in base offers some
options here.