Re: GNUstep base version number

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: GNUstep base version number
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:49:50 +0100

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

Am I doing this wrong ... should we be keeping trunk at the version number of the last unstable subminor release until we are ready to do a new unstable release, or should it be at the expected version of the next unstable release?

I do not really care whether the trunk is at version 1.15.x or at 1.17 as long as it is maintained consistently. I.e., either keep the trunk at 1.15.x and increment the sub version number upon each release, or keep it at 1.17.0. But then you should introduce a 1.15 branch and prepare releases on that branch and not by silently changing the version number on the trunk. And if it is really necessary to temporarily decrement the version number on then trunk, then announce it loudly on (at least) this list so people can stay away from doing a svn up in that period.

I really hate wasting a few hours attempting to locate a (seeming) bug, which finally turns out to be caused by the fact that I simply had forgotten a make install in gnustep-back and thus the backend bundle was still using the 1.17 library whereas applications were linked with the 1.15 library. BTW, it would be nice if we could prevent such issues by checking that the library versions a bundle was linked against match the versions used by the loading application.

With the 1.15.3 release I listed all the changes needed for MacOS-X 10.5 compatibility, but nobody has offered to do or help with any of them ... so perhaps we should not bother with aiming for that in the next major release? In which case there seems no reason not to make a new unstable branch on 1.17 (so at least the unstable releases would have a higher minor version number than the stable ones again).

Again, I do not care much whether the next version is named 1.15.4 or 1.17.0, though I have to say that it looks a bit odd that the stable releases appear to be more advanced than the unstable ones by their version numbers.

Wolfgang