Re: Gui release

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Gui release
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:18:22 +0000

On 3 Dec 2008, at 09:17, Fred Kiefer wrote:

I would like to see a gui release real soon now. The only open problem
that should be investigated (not solved) is the segmentation fault from GWorkspace. (I will look into that as soon as I get GWorkspace to compile)

Now that gui and back have been changed to respect the domain settings I would advocate to do a base and gui release together. It would be rather
confusing to have base and gui behave differently.

Sounds good to me ... I think I've given up on the idea of OSX10.5 API compatibility in base for the next release (nobody seems to want to work on it), so we may as well make a new release without it.

Can we do this as new 'unstable' release branches, so that the unstable releases have a higher version number than the stable ones again? If you want to do it as a new stable release branch, can we do a new unstable branch at the same time?

Also, perhaps we can release a new gnustep-make, and get gnustep-make to not install stuff in /usr/GNUstep/System/... by default and certainly not overwrite /usr/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf by default? I know that, when make is installed, there is notionally no gnustep installation domain in place, so it's not installing into a particular domain, but for consistency it ought to act is if it is installing into a domain somehow ... If you are installing it in the system domain, it should overwrite the file. If you are installing it in the local domain, I guess it shouldask before overwriting (and back up the original)
Probably it should do the same for the network domain.
And in the user domain, it should just write a copy in the user's home directory, so that the use can specify it using the environment variable.