Re: Windows look and feel

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Windows look and feel
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 14:38:55 +0100

Philippe Bernery wrote:
> I asked the question sometimes ago (and got an answer) but did not
> follow the list for many times.
> I was wondering if someone was working on giving GNUstep application
> the look and feel of Windows application on Windows?
> If yes, what is the status of this project. If no, is there any plan
> to support it?

You have to be more specific on what you are asking for. Getting a more
Windows look on Windows is something we are aiming at, but providing a
Windows feel is currently beyond the scope of our project.
Surely you will be able to redefine a few keys to get a behaviour that
is closer to the standard on Windows, but basically GNUstep programs
will still follow a logic that is closer to OpenStep than to the Windows
interface standards (as little as such standards exist).

As for the Windows look you will have to wait for the next GNUstep
release cycle, as we will be focusing on themes once more. (Actually you
don't have to wait, you can just start to contribute now) Having more
themes callbacks in gui will allow more of the interface drawing to be
adjustable.
There was a proof of concept Windows theme, the code of which was send
to the mailing list again only a few months ago. Expect something
similar as a separate theme later on. Our main problem here is as always
that we don't have any developer that really focuses on Windows. We just
support it as people keep on asking for it. It would just be great to
have somebody contributing to GNUstep continuously on that platform.