Re: plmerge crash in latest trunk

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: plmerge crash in latest trunk
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:14:09 +0000

On 28 Jan 2009, at 21:33, David Chisnall wrote:

Since my last svn update I got errors complaining that an NSZone- related symbol was missing (what is the reason for this? Breaking the ABI is not considered friendly.). As a result I've had to recompile everything.

Well, while I dislike changing the ABI, svn trunk is obviously the place to do it when it's necessary (in this case I'm afraid it was necessary to support new Apple garbage collection behaviors). Changing the ABI even in svn trunk is sufficiently unusual that I emailed the mailing list to highlight the issue at the point when this change was made, but I guess you don't follow the gnustep lists?

For stable ABI, you need to stick to stable releases or follow the stable branch rather than trunk.