Re: Allowing Applications to continue after exception...

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: Allowing Applications to continue after exception...
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 23:44:02 -0800

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 9:50 PM, David Ayers <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 04.02.2009, 23:52 -0500 schrieb Gregory Casamento:
>> The attached test program does not crash on Mac OS X when the button
>> is pressed, but does crash on GNUstep.  The button calls the "action:"
>> method in Controller which immediately throws an exception.
>>
>> I believe this confirms that GNUstep's behavior is inconsistent with
>> Cocoa.   I can test on OpenStep, but I suspect that the behavior is
>> the same there as it is on Cocoa.
>
> FWIW, IIRC this inconsistency was intentional an I believe for a very
> good reason.  I thought we had documented it at the time but I can't dig
> it up easily right now.
>
> An uncaught exception indicates that the application is in an undefined
> state.  For certain type of applications (like viewers) this can be
> ignored.  For editor application this could mean that the document being
> edited could be corrupted and saving it cause data corruption.
>
> This thread is the only reference I found in which we suggested some
> type of "Developer-Mode" which indicates that "I know what I'm doing,
> let me debug, will you?!".
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2004-10/msg00092.html
>
> I still believe that handling generic handling of exceptions in the
> runloop is a dangerously wrong and an implementation detail that we
> shouldn't try to be compatible with.  But others may disagree.

I definitely agree with this, but wanted to toss out another point of
view in the same vein
in an editor application, say that there is an exception when working
with a single document
(i'm seeing something in DBModeler when closing certain documents
which I haven't managed to fix yet unfortunately)

so i'm getting an exception when an error occurs in a single document,
but the entire application crashes, now i should probably add some
exception handling somewhere (not exactly sure where, probably all
over the place...) to my app but haven't figured out where yet, but
until I do, an exception in a single document means that all open
documents close, and could potentially lose changes in other unsaved
documents which are open.