Re: Auxiliary makefile fragements

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Auxiliary makefile fragements
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 19:07:04 +0100

Am Dienstag, den 17.02.2009, 12:41 -0500 schrieb Gregory Casamento:

> One thing I think I should also mention is that, in gnustep-make,
> there seem to be fragments preinstalled for gswapp.  Shouldn't these
> be moved out of gnustep-make and only be installed if and only if you
> install GSWeb etc, otherwise we have gnustep-make support for things
> which are not installed at all.  There are other examples aside from
> GSWeb, I'm just using it as an example.

The gsweb fragments that are part of -make are actually "infrastructure"
fragments which are different from the "convenience" fragments I'm
currently talking about.  In face gsweb, when installed, installs it's
own set of "convenience" fragments.

The "infrastructure" fragments deal with special types of "wrappers"
called components (WO/GSWCompoents) which need to be
installed/uninstalled in the correct places.

As far as I know, -make currently does not support "Auxiliary"
"infrastructure" make file fragments.  I'm not sure if it should since I
believe you need to know a lot about -make's internals to maintain them.
On the other hand I understand that it's a burden for Nicola since he
needs to be aware of what these special wrappers are and how they should
be handled.

But in the end, I believe that the "infrastructure" might be tied much
closer to the overall -make (i.e. FHS) logic, that I simply isn't
feasible to export that logic to external packages...

Nicola, what do you think?

Cheers,