Re: Auxiliary makefile fragements

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Auxiliary makefile fragements
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:23:31 +0000

On 18 Feb 2009, at 19:07, David Ayers wrote:

Am Mittwoch, den 18.02.2009, 16:24 +0100 schrieb Nicola Pero:

It may be good to review the linking flags/variables, though, and I wouldn't
mind being able to do something like

$(GNUSTEP_MAKE_CHECK_REQUIRED_LIBRARY Renaissance)
$(GNUSTEP_MAKE_CHECK_REQUIRED_LIBRARY EOControl)

which would produce a clear user warning if these are not there. (just an idea)

Just to be sure we are on the same sheet of paper...

What I requested was a way to test the availability of a GNUstep package during configure. I guess that could be altered to a 'make' check, but
then that logic would be executed a lot more often than need be.

Well, because of gnustep-make's standardized setup, it's very easy
to check if, for example, Renaissance is installed or not.  You just
look it up in the SYSTEM, LOCAL, NETWORK and USER libraries
directory.  The overhead would be almost zero, so it can be done
at building time, without the need for a separate configure step. ;-)

I'm hoping this can be achieved via gnustep-config.  Now if you also
want a way to test this in -make then that's fine by me, but it wasn't
what I was looking for.

Yes, you can do it inside your uber-slow, traditional ./configure by
using gnustep-config. ;-)

At the moment I guess you would get the four possible
locations for your library,

gnustep-config --variable=GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_LIBRARIES
gnustep-config --variable=GNUSTEP_LOCAL_LIBRARIES
gnustep-config --variable=GNUSTEP_NETWORK_LIBRARIES
gnustep-config --variable=GNUSTEP_USER_LIBRARIES

then write a one-liner shell command to look the library up in these
directories.

I suppose we could have a way to have gnustep-config do this look up
for you and just return 0 or 1 depending on whether the library is
installed or not.  We could implement the building-time-check
inside gnustep-make, then have gnustep-config use that same check.

I'll think about that.  Suggestions welcome.

Thanks