Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r27911 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/GSNibLoa

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r27911 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/GSNibLoading.m Source/NSDrawer.m
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:03:06 +0100

Hi Greg,

this look was what I actually wanted to achive :-)
Looks like we don't have a case of not working code, but different
goals. We better start out by defining the problem, listing possible
solutions and then arguing for or against them.

The problem I see is that we have a duplication of menu reorganisation
code. Once for switching between horizontal and vertical and another one
for loading NIB files. This duplication is bad in itself and will lead
to inconsistencies when switching a loaded NIB menu to horizontal (and
back again).

My solution was to bring the NIB menu as close to the way the menu of
normal GNUstep application looks. That is have on the main menu an info
item (could also be a sub menu), at the very bottom the quit item and
above that the services and hide items, if any. In the info sub menu all
the other entries from the application sub menu of the NIB file get
collected.

The way I implemented that was to look for the Services entry and move
everything above that into the info submenu and everything below in the
main menu. If you take a look at the main menu of Gorm you will notice
almost looks like the one you reject. The only differences are that the
converted menu also has some separator items and two additional
hide/show entries.

You could argue now that the normal menu layout of GNUstep menus is bad.
This is a possible point of view, but then we again should try to find a
shared view on how to organise menus. Perhaps we can even move the menu
reorganisation into a theme?

As for the difference to the original code. When I tried to switch of
your code the first time without any changes to NSMenu, it ended up with
the Services item being the first one and all of the entries that are
now gathered in the info submenu being at the end of the main menu. I
hope you find my solution better than that.

What looks wrong in my implementation is that the menu has the title
MainMenu, that needs to be changed. I don't remember that happening to me.

Fred