Re: Localization of GNUstep strings

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Localization of GNUstep strings
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 13:56:32 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
> Selon address@hidden:
>
>> Selon Fred Kiefer <address@hidden>:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> cd gui/Resources
>>> make_strings -L German ../Source/*.m
>>>
>>> Before every release of gui we should update these files and add the
>>> missing new translations.
>>>
>>> Fred
>>>
>>> PS: I find the way you have to write the non-ASCII characters a bit
>>> clumsy, but I didn't want to switch to UTF-8.
>> Clumsy looks like an understatment :o)
>>
>> Seriously though, is utf-8 an option ? I'm willing to start a french
>> translation
>> and I would prefer something easier for all accentuated caracters.
>
> Here's my first take on a French.lproj.
> Answering to myself, yes utf-8 is an option and that's what I used. You just
> have to had the 3 bytes marker at the beginning of the file (and that's ugly
> imho).
>
> Gorm panels of gnustep-gui (and maybe something else) need to be translated
> too
> I guess. Can you give me a hint on how to do that ?

Thank you for starting on this. There are quite a lot of non-translated
strings left in the file. Should I commit it anyway or are you planing
to add these as well?

You always should run the make_strings command multiple times. For me it
found additional strings during these extra runs. It will also sort the
newly translated entries.

Translating the panels is easy, just copy the directory
Panels/English.lproj and then load the panels in it one by one into
Gorm, translate the texts and do any other changes your language
requires and store them. Maybe I should do that for German to show the idea.
Ignore the gmodel files in the Panels directory, these are unused and
need to be replaced by gorm files. Yes, we really should implement all
panels via gorm or NIB files now. I would prefer NIB files as key value
coding allows for easier extension.