Re: Elevating your privileges

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Elevating your privileges
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:27:41 +0000

Elevating privileges is not something that an application should be able to do, for obvious reasons. The standard way of implementing this on UNIX systems is to use privilege separation and have a setuid root program performs the operations that require elevated privilege on behalf of the main program, via a simple interface.

David