Re: GCC Runtime Licensing (sorry!)

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: GCC Runtime Licensing (sorry!)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 12:47:02 +0100

Okay, it's official:

I can't read[1].

Having reread that paragraph, I completely agree with your interpretation, this is exactly the kind of exemption I wanted. Thank you very much to the FSF. Absolutely perfect (when read with a fully- awake brain).

Interestingly, this means that you can use clang + LLVM + proprietary optimisation passes, but not llvm-gcc + (the same) proprietary optimisations. I don't have a problem with this - it just means that if you want proprietary optimisations you don't get to benefit from the GCC code.

This is excellent news for Étoilé too, since it means that LanguageKit is now able to compile code that is not GPL-compatible[2], and we can compile GNUstep with clang without issues (sadly not with llvm-gcc).

I guess this means I've now run out of excuses for not improving the GNU runtime...

David

[1] In my defence, I read it first it before my first cup of coffee...

[2] Only an issue when using it in static-compiler mode and distributing the binaries. The JIT mode was already exempt from this since the GPL is a distribution license and doesn't apply if you don't distribute the result, which you never do with JIT'd code.