NSSound

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: NSSound
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 17:49:02 -0500

Well, I've been messing with NSSound for a few weeks now and got to the point where, in order to continue, I need some help.  I posted a few patches up on Savannah, but as I kept working on a fall back code for whenever there's no libsndfile (the patches I put up was based on it, and the fall back can currently read AU/SND and WAV in PCM 8, 16, 32 bit, uLaw and aLaw [I'm planning on 32 and 64 bit float soon]) I pretty much ended up having to rewrite most of NSSound so that it can now respond to -initWithData:.  I've somewhat hit a point where I need someone to take a look at what I've done so far and let me know if I'm going in the right direction or not.

I've also started branching out a bit from the Apple docs and introduced a -dataWithFormat:fileType: which allows data to be written to a NSData object in any of the formats that I can read in.  I thought it would be nice having the ability to convert between different file types.  I'm also think about adding a method to read RAW PCM data, which wouldn't be very hard and would allow for NSSounds to be created from raw CD data, and in combination with the previous method write it to file (pretty much all you would need to create a CD ripper would be someway to read the CD data, which I thought would a good idea).

I'm attaching the files I worked on.  A diff of this stuff is huge, so I thought it would be easier to just attach the files themselves.  I still haven't done any work on AIFF/AIFF-C, but plan on taking a look into it soon.  AIFF poses a problem (for me at least) because of that stupid 80-bit IEEE float representing the sampling rate, where as the others are just straight integers.

Stefan